1/18/2005

Healthcare ramblings

I am a "sweet spot" or so I was told (it's a marketing term!). I make the majority of the healthcare decisions for myself and three children and remind (OK, nag) my husband to care for his health. But, I have questions...ones that no one answers or cares about.

1. We have great health insurance. BUT, why is a once a year physical covered, but not the supporting tests (urinalysis, cholesterol, etc.)? I feel like you get to see the Dr. - as described in the joke about the dead dog and the owner being charged for CAT scan, you've heard it, I won't tell the whole thing - but he can only look at the outside. Don't give him/her the tools to examine what is going on under the skin. OR, don't cover them with the "physical." The plan book should describe the physical as a look at the outside of the car, but not being able to look under the hood (unless you want to pay $$$$$, because it isn't covered).

I guess that question pretty much answers itself...it's all about the $$. The revenue is in the tests, not the "cat" scan.

2. Why do I feel like the office staff speaks very, very SLOWLY to me when I call with a problem re: an appt. or a bill? I am capable of understanding a simple explanation - why do I feel patronized?

Here again, I know the answer, but don't like it. Managers, do spot checks on your employees. Have you ever heard of a secret shopper? Try using one to check on your employees who are on the front-line. How do they treat your customers? That is the first impression (and sometimes the last).

3. What is a co-pay? My husband used to be a mechanic. He says it would be like charging you to just pull your car into the garage. No work has been done, no parts have been used. You are just paying for the privilege of making an appointment.

No answer here - I have asked for an explanation many times, but get a different response every time.



If you want to read an insider's perspective of life in healthcare check out the interesting blog of a friend of mine http://dogsandstars.typepad.com/