3/22/2005

Wool

I've been learning a lot about wool and the process of creating something from it after it's off the sheep. I've read about skirting a fleece, making a skirting table, washing and carding the wool and spinning it. Now to decide how much to invest in the various processes.

I talked to one of the ladies who owns a company called "The Woolly Girls." It was quite amazing that I found her. I couldn't find a listing in the telephone book so I called another shop in Langdon, ND. One of 'the girls' was shopping in that store at the time I called so we had a conversation about wool and processing.

I wish I had a lot more knowledge and a little more equipment (other than the raw wool). Mark isn't sure about this venture, but has offered to make a skirting table for me so that I can get some of the wool processed. I think I will send a fleece or two out for processing this year and then look at either buying coats for the sheep or making some coats to protect the wool. The wool obviously stays cleaner and needs less handling after shearing. I have read that it is possible to was the wool in the washing machine, but we just bought our machine last year and I'm not willing to give it up in case the experiment goes bad!

Stay tuned for updates!

No comments: