5/17/2005

Where Have You Been?

OK, I'm starting to fall off the blog wagon. I miss having the feedback that I used to receive from sending e-mails to you all. Well, not really feedback, but a "hey, great to hear from you, we are fine!" or something like that. How to fix that?

What has happened here since 5/9? Well, the visiting dog killed a total of five chickens before going away. That leaves five chickens and one rooster. One of the chickens is setting on at least 12 eggs. So you don't have to check the internet, it takes approximately 21 days for eggs to hatch so we are waiting. We are only getting one egg a day from the other chickens. I need to leave the chickens locked in for a day to find out if there are more that are capable of laying.

Wednesday school's topic was Lewis and Clark - for the 2nd week. I can see why it took 2 weeks to review, that was a really long trip! We also had a surprise birthday party for the teacher. That evening, our two older kids had their church youth club meeting. The topic was edible wild plants. I tried fried cattails and boiled cattails. Lots of fiber there, not much taste so the fried were better with a little butter and salt and pepper (in case you were wondering). I sure am glad pizza was ordered for the final course.

Thursday I was gone most of the day and the rain came down all day. When it came time to bring the sheep in for the night the creek in their pasture had swollen and the sheep couldn't be convinced to use the little footbridge. Mark and I chased those evil beasts for 30 minutes. Finally Matthew came riding up on the pony, Ginger. He looked like the Lone Ranger - without the mask and the white horse. Yeah, and his legs were dangling, he was riding bareback and had just tied a piece of twine onto the pony's halter to use as reins. I guess the comparison just isn't there. Anyway - Matthew and his equine mount assisted in herding the evil beasts back across the creek and towards the barn. We hooked up two heat lamps for the cold, wet babies. By the time we got to the house I was soaked up to my knees from wading back and forth across the creek at locations other than where the bridge is located. I also had the lovely odor of wet, dirty sheep all over. Needless to say, the first stop was for a shower with lots of soap.

I missed the alumni weekend at my high school. Last year it was 20 years since graduation and I had a marvelous time. I think at 20 years after high school you are who you are - no pretending any more. Ten years was weird. I was nursing baby (who had been born 4 weeks prior) and trying to hide that fact from boys/men who were not allowed to acknowledge (in high school) that girls had breasts. I'm digressing badly - anyway, I missed the weekend. A big hello to all of you from the class of '84. I had a great time last year - my best friend from high school (CK) and I caught up just as if we had seen each other the day before. I found it to be a lot of fun to talk to people you knew (then) and be able to hold a conversation without all of the teenage angst/insecurity/pecking order that comes with high school. Well, nearly everyone in our class had overcome that - all except two individuals, one of which was our class president who told the class liason (when she called to encourage him to join us) "I'm past all of that" or something to that effect. Idiot - obviously he isn't out of the angst/insecurity/pecking order or else he is bald and fat. Anyway......

On Sunday Alyssa attended a birthday party for two children. It was held at the children's museum. There were so many children there (just for the party) - it was insane. I heard the number 27, but was hoping it wasn't true. We all went to the library after the party just to let our head clear from all of the noise pollution.

The kids have finished most of their schoolwork so we are coasting now. Oh, it feels good, but I've already started scanning the used lists for books for next year. Right now I'm scoping for a Saxon 76 math book.

We are off to Wednesday school tomorrow. The last class is next week - Matthew graduates from 8th grade that evening. I'm feeling quite old suddenly. I will attempt to recapture that youthful feeling on 5/31. The final event of the year is a field trip that includes mini golf and go-carts. Alyssa isn't old enough to run the cart alone so I have to drive for her! I love zipping around the track at top speed.

Happy week to you!

No comments: