2/01/2005

Seriously...

A few serious things:

1. I am excited to hear that an early Alzheimer's test is being developed. My Grandmother died (Mom's Mom) of Alzheimer's related complications so this is near and dear to my heart.

It was gut-wrenching to see a vibrant and independent woman deteriorate, need to be removed from her home so that she could be cared for appropriately, and have the simplest of life skills slip away.

If you have a family member suffering from a memory-robbing disease, know that we understand. A tip - try singing with them. When my Grandma couldn't remember names, faces, names of common things such as a fork, hairbrush, etc. she could remember songs. The last interactive time that I saw my Mom spend with my Grandma is when they were singing hymns together. On that day my Grandma didn't know who we were (she knew my Mom, but not the kids or myself) she sat with my Mom and sang hymns, in some cases all three or four verses. Amazing.

2. Take your kids to nursing homes. Ask if you can help with the activity time. Oh yes, your kids are going to be uncomfortable, it won't be fun the first time, but persist. The elderly is a growing population that deserves a great deal of respect. Think about the things that that generation has seen change - airplanes, computers, money from a machine, space travel and so much more - and in most cases, they have adjusted marvelously.

When my Grandma and great-Aunt were in the nursing home, we spent a significant amount of time in those places. My kids would get tired of waiting for me and would go to the lobby or group activity room. I would find them with the residents tossing a ball back and forth or helping with a puzzle.

OK, off the soap box.

No comments: