2/01/2005

We are Family

My husband has decided that ND was settled by one German family and one Norwegian family and that my family is then related to everyone (my Mom is the Norwegian, my father the German - mixed marriage, you know).

My husband is not a native North Dakotan (I had to bring in someone in from outside of the state - read on, you'll know why) and first experienced being in the state after his formative years - don't worry, he is OK.

The first time he came to ND, he came with my Dad. Had I been a little mouse in the car on their road trip, I am sure I would have heard my Dad tell him stories about all the places we lived, where all of our relatives lived, the cars he had owned, the tractors, etc. My husband was impressed, but didn't really believe (you know, like Santa Claus) until they had stopped at a rest area and my Dad came walking out of the men's room talking to a guy that was introduced as a cousin (AND HE WAS!). My husband then became a believer and has since seen this proven over and over. People come to church, they are related. We see someone in the grocery store, they are related. We go to a public event, we can almost always find a relative.

Some of you more sarcastic people might say that is because there are so few people in the state, but whatever the reason, it's actually quite fun. The kids sometimes ask, when we attend a public event, "who are you related to here, Mom?".

Yes, we are family.....Oh yeah, the reason for an out-of-state husband? New blood!

1 comment:

Vertical Man said...

So (how) do Nodak natives ever breed?