2/01/2005

Happy February!

Isn't this awesome - winter is nearly 1/2 over?! We have six months (or so) of winter here in sunny ND. You can count on snow by Halloween and the last snow is usually gone in May. We count winter as being November-April. Half on, half off! I smiled this year when Alyssa looked at the calendar (in December, isn't it?) and said "it's the first day of winter." Well, technically speaking it was, but hey, we had been having winter-like conditions all autumn if we are going to be technical!

With the approach of spring, gardening catalogues begin arriving in the mail. I love reading, looking at the pictures and dreaming about the incredible garden that we are going to have. Well, I love reading, looking at the pictures and dreaming, but that is about as far as it gets. Successful Gardening is something that has eluded me, thus far. I know it's in my gene pool. My Grandma and Grandpa had great gardens. I have a great-Aunt who grows enough vegetables to feed the nearby small town (it is a HUGE garden - acres - it used to be plowed by a tractor every spring, forget the puny rototiller). My mother used to garden in a big way. I just haven't gotten my rhythmn yet. Yeah, that's it.

I have decided that my nemesis that keeps my garden from flourishing (or growing at all) at this farm is the wind. It blows from the north and then switches to blow from the west - and it doesn't stop. Remember the tree post? We value every tree? That is because we don't have many. My garden is sheltered on the east side and the south side (not by trees). This year I am seriously considering wrapping a big sheet of plastic around the north and west sides.

I checked quite a few books out from the library about fruits/berries/fruit trees and the home gardener. I have dreams of an apple orchard. My husband and I are debating where it should go. He doesn't want "the view" blocked. Hey, we can see half-way across the state out of any of our windows - we are going to have to block some of the view if we ever want to have a windbreak and cut down on the fuel bill. Wait, I'm way off the subject. Maybe I'll start with two apple trees - cross-pollination, hey, I've been reading!

Our frost-free date is the end of May so I have lots of time to dream.

OK, projects for this week:

1. I plan to call up some local spinners to see what kind of wool they prefer. I believe we are missing a part of the market with our sheep by not selling the fleeces in the spring. Anyone have a spinning wheel out there that they want to send my way? It looks like fun!

2. My husband has begun work on the 2nd bathroom upstairs. I've tried to be patient and put up with the fun of having construction in the house.

3. Wednesday school - the subject is the first 4th of July so we are having an indoor picnic. The kids are confused as we have told them we are celebrating the 4th of July in February. Use your imagination!

4. We may take the kids to see President Bush in Fargo. Hey, it's not every day (or once a year, or once a presidential term) that the President comes to ND. ND has such a low # of electoral votes, we are barely thought of during the election process - a story for another day. I hear there are only 7,000 tickets available so, maybe.

5. Keeping it going - laundry, dishes, cleaning, schoolwork - you get where I'm going!

Have a great day!

P.S. What is your favorite gardening catalogue?

No comments: