4/11/2005

And so it goes...

First - if you live in a rural area (both of you), don't you just despise the internet access? Ours was down for nearly a week. I was in the midst of a very fascinating description for you of our week when, poof, the whole thing went down. I won't bother to recreate the amazing information that was lost. I'll start from here.

Spring has come to our house! The snow is nearly all gone, it's been 70 degrees and today it is raining. Our first lambs were born yesterday. #20 had a boy and a girl. She had them out in the pasture without any assistance. When Mark found them they (the babies) were both on their feet and nursing. I checked the sheep early this morning and no one mentioned being in early labor. Hopefully they won't have them outside in the rain - although sheep are quite dumb that way.

Alyssa attended a lovely birthday party yesterday. She is feeling a bit superior to the honorees - a five year old boy and a four year old girl. Some things were a bit "babyish" (the ultimate put down at our house!). Overall she had a good time, but maturity seems to be affecting her.

The week ahead includes orthodontist and dental appointments for the kids. That is always my big opportunity to catch up on magazine reading. Fortunately both offices do a good job of keeping their subscriptions current - it's the little things that count for me! All trips that use gasoline are being rationed at our house. Trips to "town" are scheduled with military-like precision - mapped out make the best use of time and gasoline. If I didn't like my car so much I would consider heading back to horse and buggy days. Grass is free and the cracked corn is $5 for a 50 lb. bag.

Matthew is scheduled to present an essay on Francis Marion to "Wednesday school." Katelyn dressed up like, and presented information on, Martha Washington last week. Matthew and Katelyn also attended a church-sponsored choral music camp for 3 days last week. They had a great time. The remainder of the family went down to Hutchinson (MN) for the concert. The kids did an outstanding job presenting the music they had learned.

Let's see - exciting news. I saw a moose next to 94 last Sunday morning! I was shocked and tried to record the moment with the camera in my cell phone - she was standing in a brown field and I wasn't foolish enough to get out of the car to get closer so the picture was a brown blob on a field of brown. Everyone at home had to take my word for it.

I need to go and let the sheep out. I know they will want to stand outside in the rain. I hate the smell of wet sheep (think about your favorite wool garment when wet!) - well, I guess they need to eat.

No comments: