4/27/2005

Secretaries Day/Week

Day/week, whatever. I used to be a secretary (and to be immodest - a darn good one at that) and I never liked secretaries day/administrative assistant's week - or whatever the politically correct term is right now. It was obviously a "hallmark holiday." Whoa - does that sound ungrateful? I don't mean for it to sound that way.

But here's the scenario. Unless you wrote it on the calendar, there is one guy/girl in the office remembered to get his/her secretary something (and their spouse reminded them). The other employers look like schmucks if they don't get something so they jump on the phone to the local florist and have something (whatever you have, please) delivered. Boss - "Hey, did you schedule lunch for us?" Secretary - "No, why? Your first available lunch date is sometime next month." Boss - "Schedule a lunch out for us." Secretary - "Oh yeah, I'll get right on that one."

Lest I sound incredibly horrible as I recall the beautiful arrangements/cards/lunches that I received for many years - I want to assure you, my wonderful reader - that I appreciate the sentiment/guilt or whatever compelled the various individuals to acknowledge my daily efforts. However, I especially appreciated the comments that came in July/September or whenever I had done a great job on a complicated project or when I had handled a particularly difficult situation with a customer.

Off the soap box. Did you get the point?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the best week is nursing week. mabye i'll get a nice flower journal like last year. feeling special.