4/26/2005

School Stuff

Have I told you about the cool math program that our 1st grader is doing this year? I'm trying a program recommended by my primary care physician (The only prescription I walked out of the Drs. office with last year was a couple of homeschooling recommendations - part of being a healthy 30-something female. He was raised in South Africa and his wife homeschooled their children.). Dr. H. recommended Singapore Math. It seemed too easy - two small paperback textbooks and two workbooks per year. Wow - great stuff. She is already doing multiplication and division, adding and subtracting two digit numbers. I have told the two oldest kids they better watch out - if their first grade sister is already working on multiplication and division, algebra can't be too far off.

We are studying early American history this year. Our main textbooks have been a series by Joy Hakim - The History of Us. Why weren't my history books like these? I am actually excited about the history program (so are the kids). For example, Ms. Hakim doesn't try to cover every battle of the Civil War, but explains motives, personalities and just makes the subject a whole lot more interesting. Next year we are stepping back into Ancient History. I sure wish I could find an author who has the same style that covers history through the reformation in the same manner.

Matthew's pediatrician is very supportive of homeschooling. Every year at physical time Dr. B. gives Matthew a prescription of books to read. He always asks Matthew about the time period he is interested in or what genre he has been reading lately and makes some excellent suggestions.

I'm a bit lost - mixing Drs. and homeschooling in the same post. Odd how that has come about. Well, we read about Mr. Bowditch today and learned how a self-educated person single-handedly reformed how oceans were navigated. Carry on.

I'm off to give the sheep a before-bed-check. Last night I was surprised with two little boy lambs. I can always tell, when entering the barn (before I can see the sheep) whether a new lamb has arrived. The mother sheep is always "talking" to her baby and the baby is usually replying in a higher pitched voice than the older lambs. OK, enough delay, out into the cold. Good night.

No comments: